September 29, 2011

Mixed up Mondrian


I got tired of my same old Mondrian project so I decided to mix it up, literally. 

First we cut out different types of lines as you saw in my previous post and glued them to the paper. We talked about simple direction words like up and down, side to side, and diagonal. 

Then we did some color mixing as a group. 

Then came the messy mixed up part. I gave them the three primary colors they saw in the Mondrian painting but let them mix them up. I demonstrated how to keep the primary colors and how to put two primaries together to get a secondary. Only a few ended up completely brown.  Those few children were amazed. One said "Brown is BEAUTIFUL!" Brown IS beautiful, and so are all the colors, I told him. But we all know it takes about 5 painting lessons for Kinders to realize that  they don't want a series of brown paintings. 


We had a marvelously messy day!




WORK LEADING UP TO OUR PAINTINGS:

PRACTICING DRAWING LINES, LINES AND MORE LINES

IDENTIFYING THE WORDS RED, YELLOW, AND BLUE

CUTTING LINES, LINES AND MORE LINES!

1 comment:

Christie - Fine Lines said...

Erica - These are terrific. I love the graphic quality, diverse products and that all kids can be successful and have a great looking result!!