August 24, 2014

Goodbye summer. Hello School.

First Grade Summer Self Portrait
(a few years old now I think I forgot to share this one. . . or I'm getting old and already shared it!
But it was a fun lesson worth a repeat share)




Tomorrow is back to school for teachers in Connecticut. 

Last year, I gave students a sunglass template as a springboard to creating their summer self-portraits. They drew their face using a mirror, but when it came to the eyes they used these really cool paper glasses I made for each student. Inside their glasses they drew something that reminded them of summer. A reflective self portrait (get it laugh/snort). We have this big tradition on the last day of school/first day of summer to wave to the kids as they drive away on the bus. The bus drivers beep and the teachers line up on the sidewalks waving to our kids. I just love this memory! This student did that scene in her glasses for her summer portrait.

This was one of the best summers ever and I tried not to soak in every minute.
What is it my mother used to tell me when I really didn't want to do something? 
"You always have the best time when you least expect it!" I hope the WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT rule will apply to this year.

In the meantime, try this little parlor trick to start the year of with confident creative kids. Give them a small springboard to create their art work (like sunglasses in a self portrait.) Especially in the beginning of the year when kids are building their confidence this little bit of assistance goes a long way. It's also interesting to point out to students at the end of the lesson, although they all started with the same supplies and glasses each one is completely unique. You will be surprised at how motivated and creative your students will become with a little parlor trick like this:)

and here are some personal pictures from my summer fun:)


I made a new desk:)

Played in our backyard.

Went to the beach! Went shopping (got the N for my family necklace) got our nails did.


Ate way too much ice cream.

Played!

One beach day of many from Connecticut shores to the Jersey shores. Loved it.

Woke up every morning to this girl running to the piano.
Had time to listen to her play. 











No comments: