November 9, 2010

Tuesdays Tip: Got a Challenging Kid?

I'm not a scary teacher.  Believe me, some days I wish I was. I have no choice but to be an organized, fair, and firm teacher.  It seems to work with most kids. But, every year there are a few who have me running up the wall with all their pleas for negative attention. When all my other little tricks fail, I go to something concrete. . . the ticket system. The ticket system is something that teachers use in their classroom so I thought I would give it a try.

Here's how it works:

1. Make a goal with the student. Start small. Such as "I will stay in my seat." Later you can go bigger with your goal.
2. Tell the student that as long as they do their goal they will stay on GREEN. If you have to remind them they will turn their ticket to YELLOW. If you have to remind them again their ticket turns to RED. When the ticket turns to RED there is a consequence (phone call home, writing sheet etc.)
3. Help child choose a simple reward. "If you stay on GREEN two days in a row would you like to be chosen as an art helper?"

Last year, a few of the kids (in first and second grade) really liked this and it did change their behavior. Luckily this year I have not had to bring it out. . . yet. I use it as a last resort because behavior charts and systems are such a hassle when all you want to do is have fun!

The rest of the students were happy enough that their friend stopped ruining their art time.

Thought I would share in case you have exhausted all the usual tricks with a certain someone. Please share any tricks you have up your sleeves that tames your freshest student or class!

I used a CD case to hold the RED, YELLOW AND RED cards. 

The hole is to hang it up in the child's reach. 

On the back we charted the points earned.

No comments: