May 28, 2012

Momma Said. . .

I know you've gotta have the rain to have a rainbow. I know momma said there would be days like this! But, I also know if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

My life just took a radical change. I knew this day was coming and I knew it wasn't going to be easy.  My husband, quit his job and opened a restaurant two states away. It's a small place, but it's a huge change. Why two states away? His family lives there. He's actually opening the restaurant with his mom and brother in law. This week was their grand opening.

Stella and I have three more weeks of school and then we'll go down for a visit. We still have a lot to do HERE though; if you are a teacher I hope you understand! I usually spend my summers doing "differed maintainence" on my house, enjoy being "home", organize my art room and get new ideas filed and ready for next year (I know I shouldn't admit to doing school work in the summer but it helps me so much during the year!) So you can imagine this is how I feel right about now!

Stella before bed! I feel ya girl.
Promise she's usually a lot happier then this. 


The life of a chef is the life of a Gypsy. I guess I'm married to a Gypsy. So before I pack up my caravan for the summer gypsy trips to visit dad, I have a few more weeks of completely single mommy hood. Ladies out there who are working single moms, it's not easy!

Things are complicated to say the least. So I am doing the only thing I know how! SIMPLIFYING. I do this all the time in the classroom and in my own life when I feel like things are not balanced.  I am proud to say I'm on day 2 of UNPLUGGING FACEBOOK. I am looking for other ways to simplify my life. For starters, I bought The Hunger Games and totally unplugged my T.V. (I don't watch much anyways!) The only thing that I CANNOT put down is my camera. I have been enjoying my new lens so much and see a difference in my photos. Now if I could just find a photography workshop that was amazing to take this summer. . . any suggestions?

When things get complicated how do you simplify?


2 comments:

Phyl said...

Oh my. I was wondering how this was all going to work out. The back and forth-iness of it all has got to be tough.

That said - how do I simplify? I guess I've never been any good at it, so I don't really know. I know when I'm stressed I'll make lists of what I have to do, and cross things off when I get them done - there's a real feeling of satisfaction in that. I schedule time for what's most important and don't skip the pleasure stuff EVER. No matter how tired or stressed I am, I NEVER NEVER skip that monthly book club meeting, because I always feel so much more relaxed when I get home (probably a combo of the wine and gossip). And if a girlfriend says "lets go to a movie/dinner" I'll go. When my son was little and my husband worked long hours, I said "it's important for me to have grown-up time" and I found terrific teenage babysitters while I went on the movie/dinner evening. Usually my son had a grand time with someone who was not tired of being with kids, and I came home refreshed and ready to be a better Mommy again.

Good luck, Erica!

Marcia Beckett said...

Yikes! So are you going to stay at your current school? Stella looks so cute in that picture! Simplify: less tv, don't worry about the little things like cleaning, etc. Being a single mom would be really hard. I know it's very difficult when Andrew is gone even for one night!