April 8, 2012

Easy Project You Can Do Tomorrow: Spring Snakes

Using a piece of paper and a simple SPIRAL line students created sculptural  SPRING SNAKES.

The beauty of this easy project is that you can incorporate so many different art concepts. It could take 30 minutes or an hour. 

Here are just some of the concepts I focused on (I have a variety of levels and needs so each class had a different focus.)

Cutting (fine motor)
Line
Pattern
Sculpture compared with Drawing





Most students created their own spiral line to cut, but I had pre-made lines for a few students who I know needed a little extra help.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Erica!

I wanted to let you know that I used your coiled snake project with my Kinders this week and a book I had forgotten I'd ordered showed up. It is called, Swirl by Swirl-Spirals in Nature by Joyce Sidman. AWESOME BOOK! It tied right in with the snake projects and the illustrations are so lush I fell in love with it! Check it out:)

:)Pat

Unknown said...

How did you know I was looking for a literacy connection and couldn't find one! I'm ordering it for next year!!!! Awesome post your spiral snakes!