March 4, 2012

NAEA Highlight: John Maeda

I had a great time at the NAEA. Tonight as I waited for my train back to reality, I jotted down a few of the highlights. I filled up an entire page. Here was the one on the top of my list.

John Maeda.

I will be working my way down the list in the next blog posts to tell you all the inspiring things that went on at the conference. It was a bit like fishing. You would go to a workshop, sit in the back, if it didn't catch on for you, you would throw it back and catch another one. In the process, I found a lot of ideas, art, questions and people that inspired me. Nothing was what I was expecting. But all that fishing has made me EXHAUSTED!

This is not the presentation Maeda gave; this is a TED TV talk that is equally great. His NAEA presentation will be uploaded on the NAEA website shortly I'm sure. His presentation was on turning STEM into STEAM. . . why is this completely revolutionary? I have no idea! It makes perfect sense to me.

If you don't know Maeda take a listen. I'll upload his other talk for you soon too!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, Erica! I look forward to your next musings on what you saw, heard, liked/disliked,learned,
loved at the convention. :)Pat

Phyl said...

Nothing was like you expected? I'm curious as to whether it was disappointment or a positive reaction.

Meanwhile I've been tired all week so far. Can't seem to catch up.

Unknown said...

Well for example. . . sticky situations about duct tape design was pretty much kids making character costumes, mostly disney. . . I thought they were going to make something original! hmmm the greenscapes Simple clay solutions didn't have 1 simole clay solution while making lis turned out fun! I thought would be boring, but it was really interesting! It was really hard to pick workshops you just couldn't tell. . .