November 22, 2009

A Clean and Green Art Room

Just when I'm feeling proud of myself for teaching about the three R's Recycling, Reusing, and Reducing in art class, one of my students teaches me a real lesson. 

"It smells so clean in here." A little second grader commented as she brought me a birthday cupcake. The "smell" that she was talking about was the antibacterial cleaner that I use to disinfect tables.  This is an antibacterial cleaner that I won't even use in my own home. I use it to disinfect my room like it had a bad case of eboli virus (or swine flu.) I am a total hypocrite! In fact, I love that smell too. There is nothing more comforting than the smell of harsh chemical fumes. Now I am teaching my students that to be clean has a "smell."


The madness is going to stop here.  Today I am whipping out my vinegar, borax, gentle soap, and water to make "green" cleaners. Check out the recipes! 





No comments: